Monday, June 19, 2017

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan - Review

26252859Title: The Hidden Oracle
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: The Trials of Apollo #1
Format: Hardback
Pages: 376
Rating: 3.5

Chiron galloped over. "Thank the gods!"
"You're welcome," I [Apollo] gasped, mostly out of habit. 

It took me forever to even pick up this book. I loved Percy Jackson and the Olympians series so much (it has to be in my top 5 series...ever). When Heroes of Olympus came out, I was up the freaking wall, because we were finally going to see more of the gang! Only to be disappointed after the first book was all new characters. Of course, that series progresses and I eventually fell in love with it as well. I thought it was over. Rick was writing his Norse series, I wrote my farewell to Percy Jackson, and I thought the story had ended.

Trails of Apollo. I saw the clips on YouTube about it and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I love Apollo. He's probably one of my favourite Olympian gods, because he's quirky and the way he never sees anything as his fault amuses me to no end. He reminds me of Narcissus, because he's always talking about how everyone surely must love him and his beauty and his wit. For the first hundred pages or so, that is exactly what I got, but in human form! I understand that, as a human, Apollo would feel differently about some things or care about things he normally wouldn't have as a god, but this is his third time as a mortal, surely if the first two times didn't really change who he was, the third time around would be no different...so why does he get so weepy and sad about...everything!?

Meg...when we were introduced to her it left a sour taste in my mouth. I didn't like Meg from the start and I still don't. She gives off the "I'm so tough" vibe/act that authors sometimes give female characters to "appeal" to the female audience and I absolutely hate it. I'm not saying that girls can't be tough or whatever, but you don't need to stress it so much. Just let whatever happens happen.

For some reason, everyone at Camp Half-Blood seems really ready to make fun of Apollo or pick on him, which really doesn't make sense to me. Even though he's in mortal form, he might at some point be a god again and boy wouldn't you look stupid if he came up and wiped that smile off your face. Which I am 100% convinced he would do once he was back in his godly status and ready to beat the ever living crap out of the people that wronged him.

And now, the entire reason I couldn't bring myself to give this book four stars...LEO.

Yeah, that's right, I can't stand him. I find him such an unlikable Jason/Percy wannabe and he simply can't be them because it is not his destiny to be as good as them. So, after I thought he died in HoO, you're telling me I have to sit through 5 more books with him as the main character bringing little to the table and being annoying the entire time!? Awesome. Just freaking spectacular. All the snip-its I was seeing before this even came out was all about Percy and Apollo interacting and now you're telling me that instead of my beautiful, awesome Percy paired up with turned-human Apollo fighting to save the world I get Leo and weepy Apollo with god-turned-human Calypso that probably won't end up doing much? This should get interesting real fast.

*quietly* I just want more Percy....

No comments:

Post a Comment